Dispelling Biotech Myths
Despite the wealth of scientific and practical evidence to the contrary, some old myths about biotechnology survive.
The evidence shows that biotechnology delivers multiple benefits:
- It has raised farmer incomes, saved them time, reduced their input costs, and maintained their competitiveness.
- It has reduced yield losses due to weed pressure and insect attack.
- It has cut chemical use and substituted benign herbicides for environmentally harmful chemicals.
- It has enabled greater use of conservation tillage, reduced soil erosion, and cut the amount of CO2 farming releases into the atmosphere.
- It is proving to be advantageous for farmers in developing countries by allowing increased yields and reductions in the use of toxic chemicals.
- It has made corn even safer by reducing the risk of mycotoxin contamination, a serious problem in many developing countries.
- And finally, it has been confirmed as making food even safer by the world‘s leading scientific institutions and authorities with not a single verified incident that biotech crops cause harm to human or animal health.